Mandatory Fee Arbitration
Fee dispute resolution through Mandatory Fee Arbitration
The Santa Monica Bar Association is proud to participate in the State of California‘s Mandatory Fee Arbitration (MFA) Program. The MFA Program is an informal, low cost program for resolving fee disputes between people and their lawyers. Our program provides both arbitration services and mediation services for all parties. We welcome qualified arbitrators (lawyers and non-lawyers) and mediators to participate in our program!
Why Fee Arbitration?
- If you hired a lawyer and dispute the amount you owe your lawyer…
- If you are a lawyer looking for a program to resolve a fee dispute with your client…
- If you need assistance with a fee dispute case…
- If you wish to volunteer to be part of our growing program…
For more information, download our forms and rules below. You can also contact our program administrator, Stephanie at (310) 581-5163 or by email.
Quick links to forms and information:
- Arbitration Request Form. Form to initiate a case with the SMBA Mandatory Fee Arbitration Program.
- Attorney's Reply Form. Form used by attorneys to respond when a client initiates a case.
- Notice of Client's Right To Fee Arbitration. California State Bar Form that describes clients' rights to arbitrate fee disputes.
- Rules of Arbitration. SMBA rules that govern cases filed with the SMBA Mandatory Fee Arbitration Program. These rules have been approved by the California State Bar.
- Rules of Mediation. As an alternate to arbitration, parties may elect to resolve disputes through mediation. These rules govern that process.
- Application for Appointment. To be appointed as an arbitrator in our program, complete this form and attach verification of your completion of a mandatory fee arbitration training program.
Featured Panel Member is Jamie Broder